Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Wang x H&M


Lovelies,

Alas, I almost forgot this collab was happening (since the first announcement which was like in March???) and now I'm really excited, excited for it. Especially since a lot of the pieces are perfect for winter in cold-as-hell Heavenston (made 2 oxymorons there).

I've got to admit, I wasn't too excited when I first looked at the pieces, since I'm not a very athletic person and everything seemed to be jogging/sports/exercise wear, but I've come to terms that the "sporty" look is (and has been) a thing, and that I might be digging it. I actually wrote an blogpost for the STITCH blog that should be dropping tomorrow, (link will be included here) but I thought I'd go more personal and in-depth with my opinions on everything Mr. Wang has to offer.


First and foremost, I absolutely am in love with the shameless promotion. Yes. Wang. Get it. Plaster your name on everything. Not only is it highly convenient for me, I think it's an amazing tongue-in-cheek act that is just calling and begging for the jokes that everyone knows are coming. Yes, I think Mr. Wang is very, very, very, much aware that his last name is also slang for penis, and yes, I think everyone who has the last name Wang is aware of that and so endlessly tired of hearing it come up again and again. I, for one, am excited to take pride, for once, in my last name and ethnicity and everything that comes with the territory of having WANG printed across my chest, since for the longest time I've hated my last name (despite the fact it means "king/royalty" in Chinese). So yes, you'll see me strutting down the street in my 59.95 grey, chic as hell sweater with my name printed across it.

Second, the unveil was not actually a surprise. His signature touch is creating high-end street wear and I remember being able to feel that vibe when I watched for the first time a collection he was presenting at NYFW a few years ago. It was the cut-outs for days leather dresses, and strappy gladiator heels. And I think a lot of that is here in this collection, especially with the white and black leather-ish shirts. Wang is phenomenal in that he can keep this magical touch in everything he creates, even as creative director for Balenciaga you can see that in the black and white and cutouts and loose fitting and chic ness that is minimalism, and, dare i say it, norm core.

Plus, I don't think I have to explain why I'm excited for the parkas and the leather puffer jackets and sweatshirts. I'm ready for a warm winter, tucked deep inside a $300 Wang parka. And who's gonna stop me?

If you guys haven't yet, check out the full collection here and get your credit cards ready when the collection drops November 6th.


Other Favorite Pieces:





0 comments:

Post a Comment